Assignment: Job Functions: Database Administrator vs. HIM Department Manager
TIP: Please see the Lesson Content and Rubric in the attachment for additional information.
Professionals working in the HIM field find that some of their job functions relate to or are similar to those of a database administrator. This assignment explores the functions of these two positions. Clearly, the positions are not the same, you will, however, see some crossover of function when the assignment is complete.
The assignment is outlined in three (3) steps below.
Step 1: Create a table like the one below into a Word document and then fill in the information you gather in Step 2.
See the attachment for the Table
Step 2: Visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Occupational Outlook Handbook webpage Look up the description for the following job titles and enter the information in the Table you created in Step 1:
- Database Administrator
- Medical Records/Health Information Technician
Step 3: Finally, compare and contrast the job functions listed for these titles. Using complete paragraphs or another table if you like, identify and highlight differences you see in the job functions and then identify and highlight similarities you note in the job functions.
Your paper should use proper spelling/grammar and be at least two (2) pages long.
APA format with In-Text citation.
Save your assignment as a Microsoft Word document.
Expert Solution Preview
As a medical professor in charge of creating college assignments and answers for medical college students, it is important to provide assignments that not only test their knowledge but also challenge them to think critically. One such assignment is comparing and contrasting the job functions of a Database Administrator and a Health Information Management (HIM) Department Manager. In this assignment, students are required to research and gather information about each profession and create a table outlining the job functions. They are then tasked with comparing and contrasting the job functions, highlighting similarities and differences. This assignment aims to test the students’ ability to gather information, analyze it, and draw conclusions.
The assignment requires students to create a table outlining the job functions of a Database Administrator and a Medical Records/Health Information Technician. Students are required to visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Occupational Outlook Handbook webpage to gather information about each profession. The table should include job titles, job descriptions, education requirements, and median pay.
Once the table is completed, students are required to compare and contrast the job functions of each profession, highlighting similarities and differences. This section of the assignment can be done using complete paragraphs or another table. Students should analyze the job functions and explain how they are similar or different.
Some of the differences that can be highlighted between the job functions of a Database Administrator and a HIM Department Manager include:
1. Education requirements: Database Administrators typically require a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, while HIM Department Managers require a degree in health information management.
2. Job responsibilities: Database Administrators are responsible for maintaining and securing databases, while HIM Department Managers are responsible for managing medical records and ensuring compliance with healthcare regulations.
3. Salary: According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay for Database Administrators in 2020 was $98,860, while the median pay for HIM Department Managers was $100,980.
Some of the similarities that can be highlighted between the job functions of a Database Administrator and a HIM Department Manager include:
1. Technology: Both professions require a strong understanding of technology and its application in their fields.
2. Data management: Both professions involve managing and organizing data, although in different capacities.
3. Continuous learning: Both professions require ongoing learning and keeping up with industry trends and changes.
In conclusion, comparing and contrasting the job functions of a Database Administrator and a HIM Department Manager is an important exercise for medical college students. The assignment requires students to gather information, analyze it, and draw conclusions about the similarities and differences between the two professions. It also tests the ability of the students to present their findings in a clear and concise manner using proper spelling/grammar and APA format with In-Text citation.
#Assignment #Job #Functions #Database #Administrator #Department